Who We’re Looking For 👀
We hire based on responsibilities, experience, ambition, cultural fit, and believe Anthony Bourdain hit the nail on the head with his saying that “Skills can be taught. Character you either have or you don't have.”. We believe real engineering is not about knowing 8 different programming languages and frameworks but rather about the right attitude and great teamwork.
Instead of a long list of requirements we're sharing a list of attributes which are important to the position we're looking to fill.
- 5-10 years of development experience with at least one programming language
- Knowledge of HTTP and server-side development
- Open minded, and open to different ways of doing things
- Creative in your problem solving
- Able to use technologies because they’re the right ones to use, not because they’re the ones you know
- Caring and empathetic
- No sense of humour what so ever, and an appreciation for irony
- The ability to distinguish irony from sarcasm
- Positivity and an attitude that contributes to velocity
What you like
- Pushing boundaries, working code over theoretical discussions, data lead decision making.
- Taking calculated risks, as opposed to over-caution, new technologies, figuring out difficult scaling problems with creative thinking..
- Thinking about how to keep things both fast and secure.
What you will be working on:
We strike a balance between maintenance and new features, roles which are rotated bi-weekly. Maintenance involves all the usual tasks, such as refactoring, but also responsibility for re-imagining aspects of the platform that need attention in order to scale or perform better.
Our stack runs inside Docker Swarm, on Amazon Auto Scaling Groups, so you’ll get to use some of the latest development methods. We developed our own Docker Swarm library and GUI (soon to be open sourced), which makes deployments and rollbacks as easy as they always should have been.
We’re in the process of migrating from a monolithic codebase, to microservices, and you can help shape that! Although our platform is almost entirely PHP right now, we are not married to any language or framework, and whatever makes sense wins.
Currently we are using these technologies (and many more):
- PHP, MySQL, Nginx, Redis, RabbitMQ
- Symfony, Doctrine, Twig, PHPUnit
- Amazon AWS, Docker, Git
- Competitive salary
- Best possible tech setup that you need to do your job.
- Freedom and Flexibility
Our selection procedure in a nutshell:
- Apply, by clicking the button below. The more you share about yourself and the reason you apply at Starred, the better!
- First a 'coffee chat' to introduce Starred, the role and get to know you. That can be at our office, but this could also be a phone screen or hangout.
- The interview phase (max two or three rounds) including a 'mini internships' of a test. After each round we make the call to proceed or not.
- The next stage consist of reference checks.
- As soon as we've decided to proceed or not, we inform you immediately.
- If all traffic lights are on green, we make you an offer.